Monday, July 18, 2011

Cable car, hills, and outdoorsy people

Last April, we took a 9-day trip to the other coast. It is a partial road trip. The drive along the coastal route was certainly amazing. In the mean time, I learned how expensive it was to rent a car from one city and return it in a different one. In the next few posts, I will try my best to recall my experience there. Thanks to Google Docs and Map. I still have the agenda, map I created while planning for the trip.

San Francisco

April in California is still chilly and windy. I heard that the climate is similar to the Mediterranean. I packed for layering. A light jacket with hoodie is definitely the best choice. We arrived at San Francisco early Saturday afternoon. The line at rental car area was much longer than I thought. It probably took us at least half hour to get the key. Our hotel is at downtown. Throughout the drive there, I kept feeling going up and down. The famous hills in SF!   
The afternoon started at Fishman's Wharf. I have been craving for the fresh seafood and it was the perfect spot to go for that. You must watch out for the seagulls though. They get pretty aggressive when it comes to hunt for food.


Later, we jumped on a cable car to get on the Golden Bridge. It was my first SF cable car experience and it was pretty good. We visited Fort Point on the way and you can get some good shots of the bridge there.
There were big waves that day. Many people were trying to ride the wave. Unlike east coast, many wear surfing suits. I can only imagine how cold the water must have been. Many were laying on the grass and enjoying being out. Must be nice to have the ocean right by where you live. It reminds me the time when I was living at Westchester county in NY. It wasn't far to get to the bay in New Rochelle from our place. I miss being so close to open water. I have always been a "sea" person, rather than a "mountain" person. Ocean gives me the feeling of open and free, unlike the captive of mountain.   
We only stayed at SF for one night. For dinner, we tried out the crab at PPQ Dungeness Island. It was prepared in a very simple way with peppercorn but it was delicious.
Visiting San Francisco has always been a pleasant experience for me. It never gets old. Every time I go, there is always something new I discover. It has what a metro city can offer. At the same time, it's close to nature. I have always wanted to live there, but I haven't put much effort in making it happen. Maybe one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment